Choose an author
1. This paper permits you to use both your literary analysis skills and your research skills
2. Select an author we have read that you would like to explore further, or select any author in our text book. This may be a short story author or a poet.
3. Read a variety of works by that author. You must read enough to be able to make general observations about the authorâ€™s writing â€“ subject matter, style, themes.
4. In your paper, locate the author in time and place. Consider influences. Make observations about the authorâ€™s work and prove them by citing examples from the work using the techniques you learned for our papers on characterization and literary analysis.
5. Having established your own points and proofs by example, look at what the critics have said about the works. Consider whether or not you agree with them and why.
6. Use internal citations to credit sources. You must have a bibliography of at least three sources, and at least one of them must be a book.
7. Suggested length: 2,000 words