In the aftermath of the financial crisis 2007-2008, the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) undertook a programme of reforms to restructure the approach taken to risk and regulation in the financial sector.
The reforms, commonly referred to as Basel III, aim to strengthen both the capital adequacy and liquidity of financial institutions, with the goals of promoting a more resilient banking sector and improving the banking sector s ability to absorb shocks arising from financial and economic stress.
Discuss the implications of Basel III and more recent regulatory initiatives on the banking sector in the UK.
(i) to develop individual research skills;
(ii) to enhance ability to assess researched material and utilise it to develop logically structured discourse;
(iii) to develop awareness and understanding of conceptual issues in risk management
in banking and in the application of risk management theory in a given context;
(iv) to develop essay-writing ability and referencing skills.
Instructions / guidance
– The requirement is to write an essay, not a report.
– The word count excludes references and tables, but the limit of 2,000 must not be exceeded.
– You must put the word count at the end of the essay.
– Use Times New Roman as the font style, with size 12 as the font size and fully justify the text.
– You should base the discussion and support your views / arguments / conclusions by reference to the thoughts of others that you will have read in the literature.
– You should also support your views and statements that you make by providing, where appropriate, up-to-date examples from the banking / regulatory and financial services sector;
– Correct use of the Harvard referencing system is required and all sources used must be fully acknowledged in the essay and its reference list
– Plagiarism is a serious offence and will be dealt with, where appropriate, under the University regulations.