3979NRS COMMUNITY HEALTH AND DIVERSITY (3979NRS_3121_GC) > ASSESSMENT > ASSIGNMENT > ASSIGNMENT TASK
Assignment task and assignment criteria
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Griffith University
3979NRS Community Health and Diversity
Semester 1, 2012 Assignment Topic
Assignment: Community health nursing assignment
Word count: 2,000 words
Due: 8.00 pm, Monday 16th April 2012
This assignment has been designed to examine your knowledge and understanding of primary health care approaches to health care in nursing within a community setting.
1. Choose one of the given scenarios.
2. Use the scholarly literature to explore one of the identified issues for this client group.
3. Using an empowerment approach, discuss how the nurse could promote health literacy in relation to this issue with:
An individual client; and
The client group as a whole
1. You are working as a registered nurse at a mental health homeless outreach team.
Issue: Young mental health clients who do not take their drugs
2. You are working as community health centre nurse with a large population of people who have recently arrived as refugees in Australia.
Issue: There is a high prevalence TB in this group
3. You are working as a school nurse in a school which is attended by a large number of children who have moderate to severe disabilities. You are working with the parents of these children.
Issue: The families are socially isolated from both each other, and do not engage with activities that are unrelated to their child’s disability.
4. You are working as a remote area nurse in a remote Indigenous community OR
You are working as a primary health care nurse in a developing country.
Issue: There is a high prevalence of otitis media in the children in the community
5. You are working as an occupational health nurse in a mining community with a large fly-in fly-out population.
Issue: Many of the men are presenting with HIV/AIDS, which they have contracted while on holiday trips to South East Asia.
6. You are working as a child health nurse in an urban low socio-economic area with single parent women who have a pre-school child/ren
Issue: You notice that many of the mothers have either limited or negative interactions with their child/ren.
Assessment task criteria
• Demonstrates an understanding of health literacy, and how health professionals can promote health literacy
• Demonstrates an understanding of health literacy in relation to the identified issue
• Bases discussion, analysis and strategies on community health principles, including: empowerment approaches; health promotion principles; and a primary health care model (rather than the medical model)
• Addresses social determinants of health in relation to the group and issue
• Differentiates between an individual focus and a population focus
• Accesses, analyses and uses appropriate literature
• Assignment is clear, logical, succinct and focused on the topic
• Presents material in accordance with academic standards
Focusessays.com has been offering academic support services to students since 2002 and more than 60% of our customers are return clients. We have skilled and experienced writers in all academic levels and subjects. Entrust us with your assignment and you will get a custom essay which is 100% original within its deadline. Get value for your money, confidentiality is guaranteed and customer support services/communication with your writer are available 24/7. Place your Order Now.